Thursday, January 21, 2010

A teenage exile & a green breakthrough.

I’m sorry I’ve been a little quiet over the past week. It’s not that I haven’t been busy in the kitchen, it’s more that I haven’t had a chance to sit down and write about it. And for this I’m blame a bunch of spoiled teenagers from the Upper East Side...

Apparently I was missing out on the phenomenon that is Gossip Girl, so Ween lent me the DVDs for season one and two and I’m ashamed to say that since last Friday, I have been at the bottom of a Gossip Girl hole. My entire weekend was spent – apart from a few meals out with friends – on my couch, watching Gossip Girl. Not to mention that this week – apart from work and a night at the theatre – I’ve spent my spare time on the couch, watching bloody Gossip Girl. Like many of the Gossip Girl characters, I find myself with some sort of addiction. I want my life back, dammit.

However, my last meal before I went into an unexpectedly self-imposed teen-angst lockdown, was something of a breakthrough.

Spinach and Goat’s Cheese Risotto

I’ve made risotto so many times before, but this time, on a cruisey Friday night in, I thought I’d actually follow the recipe for basic risotto and I actually learnt something.

The key is in the heat of the stove. I’ve always had the heat to high previously, which required constant stirring, a high level of attention and in the end, I think, created a rather gluggy risotto. But I’ve now realised that if you have the heat at a medium level, you can actually multi-task in the kitchen while the risotto cooks. Overall, it takes a lot longer to actually cook, but in the end, it’s worth it.

So, on this occasion, when the basic risotto was done, I added the steamed (with garlic and nutmeg) spinach, which I’d finely chopped into a sort of paste and stirred through, along with some crumbled goats cheese.




It looked good – white speckled with bright green – and it tasted fabulous. The nutmeg in the steamed spinach was a subtle but very welcome flavour.

It was shortly after this green & ricey breakthrough, that my life entered a downward spiral…

Xx

No comments: