Thursday, January 28, 2010

Summer dreams, ripped at the seams…

I’ve been feeling the heat this week – I just can’t quite seem to cool down, so I last night I thought I’d go for something fresh, Summery and of the sea.


Chargrilled Tuna with Oregano Oil & Beautifully Dressed Peas & Broad Beans

Scotch Stovies


What are Scotch Stovies? They are my new favourite way to eat potato. Where have they been all my life? They’re a mushy potato and onion mush, but they taste French and cheesy. I realise that’s a terrible description, but it’s the truth!


On a low heat, I sautéed a finely sliced onion, a big knob of butter and some fresh thyme leaves until they were soft and yellowing. I added some peeled and cubed potatoes and a cup of water, turned the heat up to medium, put the lid on and left them to simmer for 15 or so minutes. All the water gets soaked up, but it just keeps sort of bubbling away and when you stir them, the onion (which has continued to brown underneath the taties) adds a chewy/crispy/salty flavour to the mushy potatoes. It’s hard to describe, so here’s a picture…




Meanwhile, I crushed sea salt and fresh oregano leaves in a pestle and mortar then added some lemon juice and a few tablespoons of olive to make the oregano oil. I brushed one side of a fresh tuna steak then lay it oily side down in a very hot pan. I quickly brushed the other side and then turned it over and turned the heat off. I had absolutely no luck finding broad beans, so I substituted with yellow beans – long ones – instead. Boiled quickly with the peas and then drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice. I tore the tuna into chunks and lay it over the bean salad and served it up with the Scotch Stovies.




When I chose these two recipes before heading to work in the morning, I had to say, it wasn’t a choice that had me daydreaming about my dinner all day, but when I sat down in front of the tennis to eat dinner last night, I can’t tell you how pleasantly surprised I was. It was the perfect Summer evening dinner. The rich potatoes – unbelievable – were perfectly complimented by the lemony light tuna. I loved it.


Xx



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oneyearonecookbook.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.