Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Getting cushy on a Sunday night.


I made the most of an early return from the farm on Sunday and decided to do some slow cooking.


The Best Stew with Potato & Rocket Pasta Cushions


Into my heavy bottomed casserole pot, I threw seasoned diced veal, let it brown lightly, then added diced carrot, chopped celery, red onion, garlic, thyme and rosemary. Once the veggies were softened, I added a tablespoon of flour, a tin of tomatoes and glass of white wine, stirred, put the lid on, turned it right down and left the stew to simmer for two and a bit hours.


Meanwhile I made the filling for the pasta cushions – mashed potato, finely chopped rocket, nutmeg, grated parmesan and lemon juice – and then the pasta. They were giant cushions, stuffed full with fluffy potato. And as strange as pasta and stew sounds as a combo, really the potato stuffing in the pasta cushions, was all that was needed to soak up the tender and tasty stew.



It was an ideal Sunday night dinner. Maybe not quite as simple as eggs on toast, but for a night of star spotting at the Logies, I think the extra effort was worth it!


Xx


PS – only one more fresh pasta recipe to go, so I’ve decided to do it this week and return the borrowed pasta-maker back to Sarah and Craig this weekend. As much as I love to give my guns a workout, I’ve made an informed choice to go back to buying my pasta at the end of the experiment!



No comments: