Friday, May 14, 2010

You take the high (moral) road and I’ll take the low road.

I’m sorry, but I cheated. And this close to the end. I feel ashamed.

OK, no I don’t. But I am sorry for that. It’s just, you know the situation with the leftovers and I just couldn’t bring myself to buy more red fish when I already had red fish in my fridge. A red fish is a red fish is a red fish right? Right?

Pan-Fried Red Mullet with Crispy Breadcrumbs & a Herby Tomato Salad

When I wikipedia’d red mullet, the picture of the fish was very similar to the picture when I wiki’d salmon, so I figured I was OK. Plus, I wasn’t sure I could go into battle with the FSL again. I’ve still got about seven seafood recipes to go, so she’s still got plenty of opportunity to disappoint me. What’s one little short cut to save face?

Anyhoot, enough with the excuses. What’s done is done and to be quite honest, I was happy with the result.
For the herby tomato salad, I combined some roughly chopped tomatoes (big red and cherry grape) with olive oil, red wine vinegar, S&P, finely chopped fennel and torn up basil (fresh from Mum’s garden). Tossed and left to sit.

The salmon – a.k.a. red mullet – was tossed lightly in seasoned flour then quickly pan fried in hot oil, til brown and crispy.

The breadcrumbs were then fried in the same pan with dried chilli, lemon zest (back on form!) and thyme leaves.

I tossed everything together, served and tucked in.



It was absolutely sensational. Fresh and crispy. Probably more suited to a Summer lunch than a winter dinner, but no complaints from me.




And, shock horror, after making spicy Thai fish cakes the day before, I have now finished with my friend Sammy the Salmon. And without any wastage. Very proud.

Xx

No comments: