Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mind the kick-back. Pow!

After a fortnight of (sort of) unexpected and (fun but) unnecessary boozing and gluttony, I’m trying to make this week a bit healthier. With a weekend away planned, I don’t think it will last past Friday, but I’m giving it a red hot go. Literally.


Proper Tomato Salad


The most challenging thing about this salad, was trying to find some wacky tomatoes. The picture in COOK with Jamie has multi-coloured tomatoes – green, yellow & red – of all different shapes and sizes, so I set out to see what I could find. In the end I had red roma tomatoes, mini red grape tomatoes and rosso bruno (browny tomatoes), so it was a good combo of colour, size and shape. Jamie also instructs cutting them up pretty willy-nilly, so it’s even more random, so I just chopped away while I chatted to Becko in the kitchen. Then I put the chopped tomatoes into a sieve over a bowl and sprinkled them with salt. This draws the water out. After 20 minutes, I put them into a clean bowl, added a glug of olive, a splash of balsamic vinegar, a finely chopped red chilli, half a clove of garlic finely chopped, some fresh oregano (or marjoram) finely chopped, pepper and finely chopped basil leaves.




Served up with a tender sirloin steak and some roast potatoes, it was the perfectly light and easy meal I wanted. We weren’t quite prepared for the kick the chilli provided though. Nearly blew our heads off. But maybe that will help to get rid of the toxins!


Xx



No comments: