Monday, April 19, 2010

Fine now, but earlier. With cauliflower you can soldier on…!

I think we’ve talked about this before, but cauliflower is a seriously underrated and under-appreciated vegetable and I am keen to start a love–the-cauliflower campaign to make sure that people give it the credit it deserves.

Roasted Cauliflower with Cumin, Coriander & Almonds

Mum is already a big cauliflower fan, so she was pretty excited when I told her that she was coming over for a dinner cased around the last cauliflower recipe in the book.

She arrived just as I was throwing the pestle-and-mortared cumin seeds, coriander seeds, dried chilli, and salt into a hot, dry frying pan with crushed almonds. Not only did she walk in and smell the aromas (she guessed the cumin straight away) but she found me bent over having a coughing attack and wiping tears from eyes. The smells might have been amazing, but they were strong and went straight into your sinuses and the back of your throat. Who needs Vicks when you’ve got a well-stocked spice cupboard?!

Once the spices and nuts were lightly toasted, I added the blanched, drained and tossed in butter and oil cauliflower, to the pan and fried that til there was a touch of brown to the tips of the c-flower trees. I stirred through the juice and zest of one lemon, transferred to an oven proof dish then baked for 10 minutes.




I served the cauliflower with lamb chops (sprinkled with Moroccan spice and BBQ’d) and steamed green beans.

It was a relatively simple dinner and nice and light, but it packed a punch. The cauliflower was sensational – the spices combined with the tangy lemon and the nutty crunch of the almonds was a perfect combo. And I cleared my sinuses!

Xx

No comments: