Thursday, April 1, 2010

And we’re climbing linguine to heaven…

Is it possible to cheat your way into heaven? Last night I gave it a red hot (inappropriate use of pun…?) go.

Black Angel Tagliarini

The thing is, this recipe was in the fresh pasta section and you know if Jamie gives me an easy way out in this chapter, I usually take it. Well, when he gave me the choice of making tagliarini from scratch with black squid ink or going down to my local deli and buying it there, I pictured myself in the kitchen with black ink all over the place and the smell of squid lingering for days afterwards and then I pictured myself have a friendly transaction with the Italian lady at my local deli and, well, you know…

So when they ask if I cheated at the Pearlie gates, I’ll just tell them Jamie said it was OK. That should wash right?

Moving on…

I was having trouble sourcing squid ink pasta but on a tip from Ween I checked out the Pastabilities website - http://www.pastabilities.com.au/ - and found that not only could I get squid ink linguine from them, but that my local deli was one of their stockists. Cheering. I placed my order and picked up the pasta the next day. Let’s not discuss the price OK? Cheaper than a full-kitchen wash-down after making the pasta at home, I’m sure.

When I went to the fish shop, you wouldn’t believe it but I was served by a young girl – not the FSL! – who was smiley, friendly and curious as to what I was using the scallops for. Discreetly flirted with her in an attempt to make her like me and ALWAYS want to serve me then skipped away with my scallops in hand. Happy days!

Back at home, after Becko and I had our first cleansing-over-gossip vino for the evening, I got to it in the kitchen.

I sliced the scallops across, so they ended up being like 20 cent coins – still round but thinner than a whole scallop – then seasoned them with S&P. I got the salted water on the boil for the pasta, heated up some oil in the frying pan then placed the scallops in, lying flat. They sizzled and spat and I didn’t want to over cook them and turn them to rubbery discs, so I pretty much turned them straight away, then threw in the finely chopped chilli, garlic and continental parsley. Then I added a half glass of wine, let the whole lot reduce for a few minutes, then a knob of butter and turned off the heat. Meanwhile the squid ink linguine has cooked, so after draining it and reserving a little of the pasta water and tipping it back in, I added the scallop mix to the pasta and tossed it all together with a good squeeze of lemon.




Before I go any further, I have to share this quote from Jamie, accompanying last night’s recipe:

“This is called ‘black angel tagliarini’ because the scallops are supposed to look like angels in the black pasta… ah, you know what the Italians are like – they’re romantic!”

I consider myself to be a bit of a romantic and I dare say Becko would say the same thing about herself, so I’ve no shame in saying the Italians were right – it was angelic! The whole thing was absolutely incredible. I’ve had squid ink pasta before in restaurants, but this was like having pasta made from the sea – it was salty and fresh and dark and mysterious. With little angelic-scallops. Heavenly.

Xx

PS – Don’t be mad, coz it’s completely a coincidence that it’s Easter (I swear!), but I’m cooking rabbit stew this weekend. But I’m making a carrot cake too, if that makes you feel any better…

1 comment:

Becko said...

So I confess I did completely steal this delicious recipe for Good Friday and it was a huge success. Although I did share the credit with you!