Thursday, April 29, 2010

Two Birds and a Dinner Party.

Last night I had a mid-week dinner party for five.


Grilled Spatchcocked Chicken with New Potatoes, Roast Asparagus and Herby Yoghurt


Party of Five = three boys two girls. I’d decided on my recipe, but for three boys, thought it was best to double up on the birds, so went with two chickens. I got the butcher to butterfly them (a.k.a spitchcock them) for me so I was good to go as soon as I got home.


I made the marinade – fresh marjoram leaves, dried oregano leaves, lemon juice, olive oil and S&P – slashed the fleshy parts of the chooks, poured it on, rubbed it in and left them to sit for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, the BBQ was heating up and once the chooks were suitably juiced, I put them on the barbie, skin side down and flattened out. It wasn’t long before the flames were raging – the chooks were on fire. From the barbie, I transferred them – charcoal skin-side up – into trays and into the oven (with half a lemon each) for 50 minutes.




Meanwhile, I boiled the potatoes, tossed them in butter, lemon juice and S&P, then pan fried the asparagus (no room in the oven for roasting I’m afraid) and tossed them in lemon and butter as well.


Served with a yoghurt and roasted lemon juice dressing, it was a very tender, very tasty charcoal chicken dinner.




The boys went back for seconds and then we followed it up with Ween’s creamy chocolate mousse. I know there are cookbooks out there, preaching about the kinds of meals that men like to eat, but surely a guy like Jamie knows best.


Xx


No comments: