Monday, April 19, 2010

High fives for a messy success.

I knew that tonight’s recipe was going to be a challenge, but I’d put it off for long enough, so tonight was the night to take it on.


Oozy Egg Ravioli


The picture shows a perfectly formed ravioli parcel, sliced cleanly down the middle and bright yellow egg yolk oozing neatly out the cut. Runny egg yolk inside pasta parcel? Piece of cake.


I started by making the pasta. I think I can safely say I have perfected this now and I am pleased with myself for that and proud of the fact that among many other things, the experiment has taught me to be an Italian Mama of sorts, kneading the dough and turning the pasta wheel.


On the rectangular pasta sheets, I spooned a dollop of ricotta (with a sprinkle of nutmeg and pinch of salt mixed in) and created a little well in the middle of each dollop. Into the little well, I carefully plopped an egg yolk.




I was pretty worried about how this was going to go – would the well be big enough for the yolk, would the yolk sit neatly, how would I go sealing the ravioli parcel without busting the yolk – but it all went according to plan, bar one where the yolk broke while I was separating it from the white and then when I plopped it into the well, it burst the banks and spilled over the edge of the ricotta, the pasta and onto the bench. I gave up on that one and went back to the others, ready to seal them up.




I folded over the top of the ravioli parcel, and gently squeezed around the lump in the middle, being really careful not to pop the yolk, but making sure the seal was tight. Then using a slotted spoon, I gently lowered each ravioli parcel into a pot of boiling salted water. They only needed to be in there for a few minutes, because the pasta had to cook and suction in around the egg & ricotta mix, but I didn’t want to hard boil the yolk either. It had to be oozy.




When it looked ready (purely a guessing game), I used the slotted spoon to transfer the ravioli from the water to a pan with bubbling melted butter, just for a few seconds, to coat them in the buttery sauce.




Then I served them up – neat little pasta parcels, with a cute yellow rounded bump in the middle. Sprinkled with parmesan and some pepper. The real test was going to be when I cut them open.




So without a moments hesitation, I sliced through and hip-hip-hooray, there, right in front of me, was a glorious picture of yellow goo. Ozzing. Perfectly. From the pasta parcel.




I’ve done it before and I’m sorry, but I have to do it again – it’s time for some trumpet blowing. How cool is oozy egg ravioli?!!!!! And I cooked them, disaster-free. I am so impressed that they worked, every step of the way. I was convinced I’d have egg all over the kitchen or at least exploding in the boiling water. But it worked beautifully and they tasted great. High fives all round!


+ Spiced Vinegar Dressing – I quickly whipped this up, so I can have it on my salads for lunch this week. White wine vinegar with a couple of cloved and a star anise, boiled to reduce liquid to half, then shaken with oil and S&P. Should be tasty.


Xx


3 comments:

Unknown said...

AMAZING!! xx

Gemene said...

YAY - you did it! You are such a legend Miss Webster!

Anonymous said...

Oh my god a love runny eggs more than life (just about to have some poached numbers) - and in pasta!! This is amazing lizzo - love Peps xxx