Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas, stuck to the roof of your mouth…

It’s the Christmas week and as it is for most people at this time of year, there are parties going on left right and centre. Tonight I’ve got a family get together – but not just immediate family, more like 50 of my second and third and once and twice removed cousins. It’s a picnic, down by Balmoral beach. Mum is bringing a picnic dinner for us (me, Mum, Pete – mum’s man – Charlie – my brother – and Tove – his wife), so I said I’d bring something sweet.

The Best Shortbread in the World

Shortbread reminds me of Mum. She made it lots when I was little (and always around Christmas time) and I remember how she would wax lyrical about it and how much she loved it. Mum’s a great cook, so I’ve no doubt she made stellar shortbread, but I can’t say for sure because I never ate the shortbread. I mean obviously, I tried it once, but soon figured out that I’m not a fan. It’s just butter, sugar and flour and to me, when you eat it, that’s exactly what it tastes like – sugary, floury, buttery biscuity stuff. Not to mention the fact that it goos up and sticks to the roof of your mouth. I mean really, what’s so great about that?

So I wasn’t exactly enamoured with the task at hand. Nevertheless, I mixed the butter, sugar and flour into a dough, squished it into the tin, pricked it with a fork and put it in the oven until lightly browned on top. I sprinkled caster sugar over the top and sliced it into chunky fingers while it was still warm.




Well, one thing’s for sure – it looked exactly like the picture in Jamie’s cookbook and not half bad, even if I do say so myself.


But of course it’s down to the taste test. I had a small chunk this morning and (even thought it still stuck to the roof of my mouth) I was quite impressed. It’s not as bad as I remember. But as I’m not the market, I brought a few pieces with me to work today and handed it around to the girls in the office and without getting too carried away, phrases like “absolutely amazing” and “best ever” and “better than anything I’ve had before” were bandied about.

I’m happy.

But the real test will be Mum. She’ll be a tough critic, but I am feeling confident. I will report back.

Xx

PS – It’s just occurred to me that maybe the stuck-to-the-roof-of-the-mouth thing is simply me. No-one else seems to suffer from this alarming problem. Maybe I have a weird mouth. Hmmmm…

PPS – Xmas lunch 2009 includes four Jamie recipes, including the turkey. Very excited.

PPPS – Have a VERY Merry Christmas!!!!!

No comments: