Sunday, December 6, 2009

Honey, I turned it upside down.

I had a couple of the gals for dinner tonight and over a good catch up and gossip, we enjoyed a visual and taste sensation.


Honeycomb Cannelloni


I had a couple of newbies for dinner tonight – Meals and Evans have not yet had a meal from the cookbook, so I was keen to show off a bit. Jamie has a sequence of pictures for this recipe and it just looks sensational, so I thought tonight was the right night to whip this recipe out.


Essentially it’s just your average cannelloni with spinach and a tomato ragout, but the very obvious and very cool difference is that the cannelloni aren’t lying down and stuffed, they’re standing up – a big round pot of vertical tubes, that from the top, looks exactly like…HONEYCOMB!





Firstly I made a vegetable ragù with carrot, celery, red onion, leek, garlic, mushrooms and five tins of tomatoes. It simmered away while us girls had a vino and a chat. After a good 45 minutes, I started the layering. First layer on the bottom of the round pot was a simple “white sauce”, made with cream, sour cream and grated parmesan, on top of that was some wilted spinach, then half the ragù. Then I placed all the cannelloni tubes vertically into the ragù and gently pushed them down, so that the bottom layers squelched up into the tubes. I then gently poured over the remaining ragù, so it filled the tubes from the top, then the remaining white sauce mixture, plus a sprinkling of grated parmesan to top it all off.




Into the oven for 45 minutes and served with a salad, it was a sensation. It just looked so cool and was such a simple and clever way to make a change to a pretty common recipe. And the girls loved it – enough for us to stop talking momentarily and just focus on eating!



Xx


PS – I’m warning you now, so please don’t judge, but one of my recipes this week is simply going to be a salad dressing. I have so many salad ingredients hanging about in my fridge and there are at least five dressing to be made in the book, so I’m not cheating nor am I avoiding a recipe, it just won’t make for exciting reading…



No comments: