Saturday, March 13, 2010

Cheers to Oktoberfest.


On Tuesday night I called on the spirit of my German holidays and gorgeous German men (don’t read into that OK?) and had a pork, potato and cabbage meal. Wunderbar!


April’s Rosemary Straw Potatoes with Lemon Salt

Braised White Cabbage with Bacon & Thyme


I’m not s big lover of pork. I leave that to Dad, who always requests roast pork for his birthday dinner, but I’ll admit, that there is something pretty fantastic about a good pork chop and some sauerkraut!


In a saucepan, I brought to the boil, some chicken stock, rashers of bacon and fresh thyme leaves, then added finely sliced cabbage, covered with a lid and left to simmer for 20 minutes.



While the ‘kraut was cooking away, I finely sliced a potato into thin matchsticks and heated sunflower oil to deep frying point. I tossed in my matchstick potatoes and when they were almost ready, then I threw in some rosemary leaves, to add flavour. Once they were crispy, I drained them and tossed them in the lemon salt (salt and lemon rind crushed in the pestle and mortar).





I served up the cabbage and the chips with a BBQ’d pork chop and some good Dijon mustard.


The cabbage was seriously amazing. Slowcooked and full of thyme flavour, it was soft and mushy and oh so German. I think I was a little distracted when tossing my chips through the lemon salt though and unfortunately I added too much salt, so the chips were not ideal. They would have been though and they were a lot easier to make than I’d thought, so maybe I’ll try them again, but without the lemon salt next time.


Note to self, don’t watch other people cooking in the kitchen on My Kitchen Rules when you’re supposed to be concentrating on your own kitchen. Distraction!


Xx


No comments: