Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Waldorf euphoria.

I had Mum for dinner on Monday night. I’d already planned which recipe I was making, but it worked pretty well for Mum coz it was a whole bunch of her favourite things.


Apple & Walnut Risotto with Gorgonzola


Jamie calls this risotto a Waldorf risotto, like a Waldorf salad. Except I don’t like Waldorf salad, so it was a good thing someone was going to enjoy it. Mum loves Waldorf salad.


I made the basic risotto, then took it off the heat and stirred in goats cheese, gorgonzola cheese, parmesan cheese, a knob of butter, and some chopped apple. Then I served it up with a sprinkling of crushed and quickly pan-fried walnuts.




Not surprisingly, Mum loved it. More surprisingly, so did I. Who would have thought that apple would be nice in risotto. But the tangy crunchiness was the perfect compliment to the ultra cheesy – did I mention there were three? – rich ricey goodness. And the crunchy nut garnish finished it off perfectly (and I definitely don’t usually like nuts in my food – they’re meant for nibbling, not masquerading as ingredients).


Xx



No comments: