Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The wholey – high carb - trinity.

Monday night is my favourite night to spend at home. The week has started and you don’t have to go through the Monday morning pain for seven more days (!!), there’s good TV and it’s just me. It’s also my favourite night to cook and I’d been looking forward to tonight’s choice for a while, especially after the pasta success last week.


Ravioli of Pecorino, Potato and Mint


The first thing was getting the potatoes in the oven, then I made the pasta dough. While the dough was in the fridge, I scooped the roasted potato flesh out of the skins and mashed it up with finely chopped mint, parmesan cheese, lemon zest, butter and S&P. Filling ready to go.


I’m actually beginning to find the long-winded process of winding the dough through the pasta maker over and over again quite therapeutic. This time it was a perfect strip, with no wrinkles or tears along the way. On 30cm sheets, I placed patties of potato filling, folded over the strip, sliced them into four pouches and then sealed them up into ravioli. They looked pretty much perfect. Irregular, but perfect…





Once the ravioli were cooked in boiling salted water, I transferred them to a pan of sizzling melted butter. Just because. Well not really. It was what Jamie said to do. But I mean really. Pasta, with potato with a butter sauce. Hello cholesterol.






Served up with a sprinkling of parmesan and some mini mint leaves, it was a very satisfying Monday night.


Xx


3 comments:

Gemene said...

wow - looks incredible!
p.s. have you developed a pasta machine one sided bicep? x

Blog with Lizzo said...

Surprisingly it gives both arms quite a work out. The turn-the-handle-arm and the hold-the-dough-up-in-the-air-so-it-doesn't-rip arm. This arm gets the same kind of workout as when you crimp, I mean straighten, your hair.
x

Unknown said...

Nice work! Making ravioli yourself is not for the faint-hearted :-) You seem to the a lot of patience, so you might want to try Cappellacci dei Briganti, the toughest pasta I've ever made myself - check it out on my pasta blog :-)
www.pasta-blog.com