Monday, August 17, 2009

Mouli mouli mouli mouli…

Phew. What a night. I pulled off my first ever gnocchi and made a batch of cupcakes.

Herby Gnocchi with Rocket and Butter Sauce

I’ve never made gnocchi before. Actually, I don’t think I’ve ever eaten gnocchi before. So my first gnocchi experience was always going to be a challenge and one I decided to take without any witnesses! Cowardly perhaps, but less risky. And probably the right decision considering I didn’t eat dinner until after 9pm!

It’s a lengthy process – simmer the potatoes (Jamie told me to bake them, but I had another recipe that said to simmer them and seeing as though my oven can be a little temperamental…), let them sit for a while, scoop out the flesh and put it through a mouli, then add the extras – egg, salt & pepper, 00 flour, some finely chopped rocket – and knead into a dough.

I don’t have a mouli, so used the old school masher. Not quite the same, but it did the job for my test run. I tried to get a mouli at the supermarket on the way home (you know I love a last-minute dash!) but no such luck.

Knead the dough, roll into sausages and chop into sections, then pop them in the fridge for a while.

See what I mean. Lengthy.

So along the way, I made the cupcakes – lemon ones in yellow cases.

Back to the gnocchi – I dropped them into the boiling water and crossed fingers that they didn’t fall apart on impact and hooray, success! While they bubbled away and slowly floated to the surface, I made the sauce which was amazingly good. Butter, a bit of stock, some lemon rind and parmesan all caramelised together. Toss through the cooked gnocchi. Absolutely delish. I am seriously excited by how well it turned out.


I now feel confident enough to make gnocchi for my willing taste testers. And I will definitely get a mouli for the gnocchi cause. It will make a big difference. Plus, I just like saying it – mouli mouli mouli mouli (to the tune of Ruby by the Kaiser Chiefs). Oh oh, now it’s in my head…

Xx

PS – iced the cupcakes with lemon icing and sprinkled with some lemon rind. All rather lemony. I hope the gals at work like them.

No comments: