Thursday, August 20, 2009

Outside My Kitchen # 2 – Uccello

Tonight I stepped out of the kitchen and enjoyed another Winter Feast. This time with BFF Ween, at The Ivy’s Uccello.


I’ve been wanting to go to Uccello since The Ivy opened, so when I was told about Winter Feasts, I immediately checked out the deal for Uccello and then asked Ween along for the ride. The food is southern Italian, the décor is fresh and summery and the view is of the pool bar (out of control extravagant, but amazing!). We had three courses and a glass of wine for $45.


http://www.merivalewinterfeasts.com/


For entrée Ween had the antipasto plate and I had a bean stew with Romano sausage. Incredibly simple, but incredibly tasty. For main I had the wagyu beef stew with polenta and Ween had a spicy prawn stew with fregola pasta. What is fregola I hear you ask? Well, as did we. It’s a sort of pasta/cous cous combo. Small balls of pasta thingies… You know what I mean right? By all accounts, quite a tasty little surprise. And I can say that the wagyu was tender, the polenta cheesy. Very tidy thanks. For dessert, Ween had the apple pie (it was pretty much a galette, but seeing as we were at Italian, they’re hardly going to use a French name are they?). Ween loved it and when I snuck a taste, I was pretty happy too. I had the tiramisu. I never order tiramisu at restaurants, because the only tiramisu I like is the one I make myself (I’m simply being honest and would you believe it’s only an AWW recipe!), but I jumped outside the box tonight and thought why not? It wasn’t bad. It wasn’t as good as my home made one, but still not bad!


After dinner (which was huge and very satisfying) we popped downstairs to the Ivy Bar for a few bevvies and a bit of people watching. There was a great jazz band playing some tunes which we endeavoured to talk over the top of.


Fab night. I felt very grown up.


Xx


PS – I have to cook polenta at some stage.

PPS – My cupcakes went down a treat at work yesterday. Woop woop.


No comments: