Thursday, August 13, 2009

What’s up Pork Chop?

Tonight was a good night on two levels – I had a long overdue catch up with my BF Becko and I enjoyed a meal that I had written off as being, well, boring. Shame on me, I hear you say. Well, I agree with you – how wrong I was.


What was the so-called boring meal? Pork chops and cabbage. But done by Jamie, not so boring.


Old-School Pork Chops with Apples & Sage, Savoy Cabbage with Worcestershire Sauce (plus my own potato & kumera bake).


I chose the pork chop recipe (I never cook pork, so thought I’d yet again step outside the comfort zone) and Jamie recommended the combo with the cabbage, so it was a cinch. He describes the cabbage as “proper cabbage with attitude” – that made me laugh.


The other thing about the pork chop choice was sort of, just a little bit about the butcher – he’s a bit cute. He told me they were the tenderest pork chops. Is that so Mr-Cute-Butcher? One thing they were, was big. And that was even when I asked for the smallest ones. Lucky we were hungry.


Quick rundown on the prep – potato & kumera bake in the oven (cream & parmesan included), briefly pan-fried the chops, seared apple wedges, a few sage leaves and a chunk of blue cheese on top, whack it in the oven while we sautéed the cabbage then sprinkle with the Lea & Perrins. Et voila – dinner is served.


We were both suitably humbled by the pork chop.


Xx

No comments: