Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Outside My Kitchen # 1 - Teppanyaki

I’m going take a bit of a liberty here and not actually write about something I’ve cooked as part of the experiment. I figure that seeing as the blog is a story about food and cooking, then why not make some comparisons to the food I eat Outside My Kitchen.

Tonight I headed out into the rain with my friend Sarah for a Merivale Winter Feast at Teppanyaki. We had three courses plus a glass of wine for $35 and the chance to eat at one of The Ivy’s restaurants. I’d like to try them all if I could!

I had the pork & prawn dumplings as a starter and Sarah had the mini wagyu burgers (so cute!) We both had the pork belly as a main with star anise, shaved fennel and apple. It was absolutely delicious. The pork was sweet and tender and I love fresh fennel shaved thinly, adding some crunch. And would you believe that when I checked the cookbook, the pork belly recipe in COOK with Jamie is PB with braised fennel. Looking forward to whipping that one up!

For dessert we shared tempura banana with sake chocolate sauce. I’ve never had banana fritters before and I’ll say right here right now that I think I’ve been deprived. Where was the banana fritter in my childhood?? Perhaps I’ll need to make up for lost time and start a fritter frenzy. Or not… Though it did bring back memories of another banana dessert from my childhood which I’m going to ask Mum about and jump into the kitchen for that.

I recommend the Winter Feasts – it’s a great value way to try some quality restaurants and have sticky at the Ivy crowd. And a good excuse to eat out with a friend, even if it ended with a dash into the rain.


http://www.merivale.com/#/ivy/teppanyaki


I’m flipping through the book right now, trying to find the next recipe. I’ve a willing taste tester coming for dinner on Thursday. I’m thinking something in the risotto section…

Xx


No comments: