Sunday, October 18, 2009

Can I get a bib with that?

I’ll start by apologising that it’s taken me a few days to post the après-lobster post, as you have all been keen to hear the result!


Unfortunately FSL (fish shop lady) was obviously still not convinced by my courageous attempt to tackle the ALIVE lobster as when I arrived to pick him up, ready for the trip home (I hear jaws music at this point, imaging Lobby attempting one last rush for freedom!) FSL proudly handed me a very dead and very much chopped in half lobster. Misreading the disappointment/annoyance on my face as relief (seriously FSL?), she said “I thought I’d help out by killing him and cutting him in half, so you didn’t have to worry and next time, I suggest you just buy the lobster tails like everyone else”. Ten points go to FSL for persistence, but seriously what part of I WANT AN ALIVE LOBSTER did she not understand!!!


A bit of a disappointing start to the evening, though just between you and me, I was a teeny bit relieved he was already dead. But lesson learned, for the next lobster recipe, I’m heading to the fish markets to hand pick him from the tank!


Sticky Fingers Lobster

Warm Salad of Crispy Smoked Bacon and Jerusalem Artichokes




I made a paste with crushed black peppercorns, garlic, shallots, lemon juice, honey, ginger and olive oil and smothered to lobster halves with it, into the oven for 15 minutes then served with fresh chilli and coriander.


I thought that Dad and I might need something else to accompany the lobster so searching the salad pages, I decided on the Jerusalem artichokes coz I’ve eaten but never cooked them before. Throwing them into some salted boiling water, they instantly give off a really earthy smell. It was quite amazing.


Bacon and red onion finely chopped and sautéed, add the boiled Jerusalem artichokes for a few minutes to crisp up then serve on top of gem lettuces (I used baby cos) and radicchio (which I love but unfortunately couldn’t get at three F&V stores, so had to go without), add some balsamic and oil to the bacon pan and put back on the heat to thicken for a few minutes then pour over the whole salad.




So Dad and I sat down to our lobster feast and even though I’d thought to grab the pliers from my tool box to make the most of the lobster experience (sticky fingers can only go so far, one needs to rip it apart with something a little more heavy duty!), I didn’t think to buy us bibs… At the end of the lobster session, both Dad and I were covered in spots of lobster juice – it was like a Jackson Pollock painting. And I was scrambling around trying to retrieve pieces of lobster claws from the all over my apartment. It was yet another Pretty Woman moment – “slippery little suckers” – but without the friendly waiter to catch my flying lobster!




The salad was a huge hit – there was supposed to be leftovers for my lunch the next day, but Dad had seconds (then thirds!), so my lunch was more like a snack! Jamie says this salad is his favourite warm salad and I see why - the earthy flavour of the Jerusalem artichokes is really quite cool.


All in all, the lobster experience was a success, but if I ever decide to return to the fish shop in question, I will be sure to keep my requests to the more simple kind, y’know, things already dead.


Xx




2 comments:

JulesInTheKitchen said...

No way! I can't believe FSL did that! Blessing in disguise? Or thunder stealing bitty?

Lucy said...

My mouth dropped open in outrage when i read this. I know this was last year but i feel the pain quite keenly only reading this today.

I'm glaring at my mental image of her