Sunday, October 18, 2009

Time out dinner.

This weekend I headed out of town for some down time. I wanted a weekend of sleeping in, watching DVDs, reading books and generally mooching about, so I headed to Mum’s farm, lit the fire, let the cat in and settled in for the weekend.


Roast Rack of Lamb with Potato and Cauliflower Dauphinois


Unfortunately by the time I went into town on Saturday to buy supplies, I’d missed the butcher and couldn’t get a rack of lamb at the supermarket, so had to settle for lamb chops instead. Not ideal, but still tasty.


Mum and I were only recently discussing how underrated cauliflower is as a vegetable (it really is damn good), so I was pretty excited by its addition to the classic potato dauphinois. I layered the potato slices and the chunks of cauliflower, plus a sprinkling of thyme then poured over a cream and milk concoction that had been simmering and infusing with garlic, nutmeg and bay leaves – super tasty. Into the oven for 40 minutes covered with foil, then remove the foil and sprinkle over some grated parmesan and back in the oven for 10 minutes to melt and brown.




Meanwhile I browned the (seasoned with S&P & rosemary) chops and popped them into the oven briefly.


Served with steamed beans, it was a perfect country dinner of meat and three veg, enjoyed in front of the fire, totally chilled out.


I promise I will try to do this again with the proper rack of lamb next time. With those tasty dauphinois, I can’t say my arm would really need to be twisted to do the re-attempt…


Xx




No comments: