Sunday, October 11, 2009

Inspired by my Inspiration


This week I went to the movies to see Julie and Julia. As I’d loved the book so much (after all, it inspired me to start my cooking experiment), I was careful not to go in with high expectations, as I didn’t want to be disappointed. Well, no chance of that. I absolutely loved it and insist you all go and see it. It’s fantastic.


As a non Meryl Streep fan (shock horror, I know!), I was blown away by her. As Julia Child, she was brilliant and so likeable. The film covers much more of the story of Julia Child’s life than the book did, which gave me a greater appreciation of how both these women came to be in the cooking situations we find them in.


I laughed and cried in equal measures. The scene where Paul Child comes home to find his wife chopping a pile (literally!) of onions in their kitchen is absolutely hilarious. The lobster killing scene in Julie’s kitchen made me laugh as much in the movie as it did in the book and certainly didn’t make the task of euthanising crustaceans seem any easier.


But I think the biggest thing that I took away from the movie was to keep going. I have had moments – exactly as Julie did – of wondering who on earth is actually reading my musings on food and cooking and is it really worth it, but the truth is, as nice as it is to know that people are reading (and I know you are) it’s more about the journey that I’m taking and the fun and challenges along the way. And the truth is, I am enjoying myself, so what more could I ask for. Other than for someone to buy me the DVD when it comes out in a few months…


Xx


1 comment:

www.jenbooth.com.au said...

You're so inspiring Lizzie, I'm days away from purchasing this cook book after salivating over all your descriptions... even thought I don't have a pasta maker, nor a mouli(by that do you mean a food processor?You and your tiny words!) I feel like I want to tell you of some great recipes, but you mustn't have anytime to do anything else!!!