Monday, October 12, 2009

Tasty Snags (not the new age kind…)

Cooking Sunday night dinner is now something I look forward to all week. It’s different to the meals I cook during the week because I have time. I have time to browse the book, shop for ingredients and put real effort into the cooking.


Proper Blokes’ Sausage Fusilli


This recipe had caught my eye more than once (and caught Ween’s eye – she’d put n a request!), so after we both had a flick through the book yesterday arvo, we decided that was what we wanted.


The sausages Jamie called for were Cumberland – easy to come by in any UK supermarket, but less so in my local Woolies – so we went for some tasty pork snags.


I squeezed the sausage meat out of the skins – quite a fun task I have to admit. I sort of felt as though as I was back in pre-school and crafting away! – into a hot frying pan with oil and used a wooden spoon to break them up a bit. They actually take a while to cook ad don’t break up as much as I thought they would – they stay as chunky bits, quite cool. Add fennel seeds and dried chilli (crushed in the pestle and mortar), then white wine, lemon juice & zest. Turn to low and simmer.



Meanwhile cook the fusilli then drain and add to the sausage sauce, with grated parmesan, a few chunks of butter and some chopped parsley (from Mum’s garden) and some of the pasta water. This pasta water thing is something that a lot of cooks seem to recommend and I have to say it is actually a really good tip when the pasta sauce is not a saucey or creamy one, as it just keeps the pasta from drying out too much. Toss it all together and serve.




It was absolutely delicious. I wouldn’t exactly call it blokey though. I think Jamie is the only man I know who would put lemon zest in a “manly” pasta sauce! I think if I was making it blokey, I’d add some HP sauce or something, just to give it a bit of bite as opposed to tang. But I loved the fusilli and the snags sans skins were sensational. Very new age…!


Xx



No comments: