Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Don’t judge a risotto by it’s colour…

Tonight I cooked yet another risotto and even though I know that I really love risotto, even this one was a whole new taste experience.


Squash, Sage and Amaretti Risotto


The first step was getting the butternut pumpkin in the oven, sprinkled with cinnamon, dried chilli and salt. Unfortunately I seemed to misread (or skim read!) a few points in tonight’s recipe including the part where I was supposed to leave the pumpkin skin on and bake it in large wedges. Not a matter. By the time I realised, the peeled pieces of pumpkin were roasting away and I was cooking the basic risotto.


The next step was supposed to be me scooping the soft and caramelised pumpkin flesh from the skin, but that wasn’t necessary, so instead I mashed the roasted pumpkin and stirred it through the risotto with a spoonful of sour cream, a knob of butter and some grated parmesan.



It basically ended up looking like baby food, but I think the flavours would be lost on a child! The pumpkin and cinnamon were a perfect compliment to each other and because of the pumpkin mash, the consistency of the risotto was actually really creamy and less sticky that my usual risotto.


It might have looked like an orange mess but it ate like a pumpkin risotto.


Xx




No comments: