Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Surprise me happy.

Last night I had Ash for dinner. It was Ash’s copy of COOK with Jamie that became the reason I chose it for my experiment. And yet, it had taken this long for me to get around to cooking for her. At least I was cooking something she’d requested.


Southern Indian Crab Curry


Have I mentioned that I’m taking requests? I have started tagging recipes with a name when requests come in, so that way people who are used as taste testers are at least getting things they enjoy!


Anyway, Ash had requested the crab curry and to be honest, I wasn’t overly excited. It wasn’t that it was tricky or boring or required the purchase of loads of weird ingredients. It was just that it was a crab curry. When I think of curry, I think of beef or chicken, not crab. But, alas, again it appears I have had my eyes opened.


Thrown into a hot pan were olive oil, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, the seeds from a few cardamom pods, cumin seeds, sliced ginger, garlic, onion and chilli. They fried on a medium heat for a few minutes, then I added turmeric, butter and half the crabmeat.


(Apologies that I can’t provide another outrageous FSL story for you here, but I took the easy option and bought crab meat ready to go. Sometimes it’s just not worth the fight, y’know?)


After a minute or so, I added a tin of coconut milk and some lemon juice. It simmered away for a few minutes then I added the remaining crab meat and some chopped coriander. Simmering until thick and creamy, I served it up with steamed rice and snow peas.





Well I know Ash liked it! She was full of praise (which I was thrilled about, seeing as it was a special request!). And you know what, I loved it too. It wasn’t too crabby, but it did hold it’s own among all the strong Indian flavours. And it was yellow. Which is a happy colour.


Xx


PS – for the record, I actually hate surprises, but a yellow and tasty curry was a nice surprise!


PPS – thought I’d give you an ambience shot. Hope you like.


No comments: