Friday, February 26, 2010

The eyes have it. Except they don’t…

Sneaky, so so sneaky.

So you know how I told you that I was being grown up and biting the bullet and getting stuck into the difficult chapters? Well I sort of, maybe, might have taken a cheeky short cut, accidentally on purpose.

Grilled & Roasted Red Mullet with Pancetta & Thyme

I chose the red mullet because I really did just want to get it out of the way. The photo in the book shows crazy red fish, with beady eyes. Ick. But deep down, I had a sneaking suspicion that I wouldn’t be able to get a whole red mullet from the FSL. And as dedicated to the experiment as I am – and you know that I am – I was not going to do a ring around Sydney fish shops trying to track down a red fish. With eyes.

So when I arrived at THE fish shop, I placed my order with the teenage-fish-shop-boy (like a teenage mutant ninja turtle!):

Me: Can I please get a mullet? A red mullet?

FSB: Um… We don’t have those.

Me: I thought you’d say that. Got something similar you can recommend?

FSB: But that’s a whole fish. We don’t really have any whole fish.


In my head: Yeah, like you don’t have any whole lobster.


Me: OK. That’s OK. It just needs to go well with thyme and pancetta…

FSB: Wait! What about sardines? They’re a whole fish. And they’re really fishy!

Me: Um… No… That’s OK. I’ll just take a piece of ling.

Pay and run. Pay and run.


Yeah yeah, I know. Really mature.

Next time, I promise there really will be eyes.

Anyhow, I got my ling home, pan fried it quickly on either side, sat two slices of lemon & a couple of sprigs of thyme on top, wrapped it with pancetta and whacked it in the oven for 10 minutes, then served it up with some cous cous and rocket.




Delicious. And no ick factor. Or eyes.

Next time, I promise…

Xx

PS – I’m planning to make ice cream on Sunday and am feeling a little nervous about the whole thing. Am I supposed to wait til the custard is completely cool, before I put it in the freezer for the first time? What kind of container do I put it in? Does it need to have a lid? Will it expand? So many unanswered questions. I’ll keep you posted.

No comments: