Sunday, November 1, 2009

Giant Dumplings for the Soul

Time to bring out the pasta maker again…


Tortellini of Chicken & Gorgonzola In A Fragrant Thyme Broth


Sunday arvo, whole chicken plus leek, fennel, carrot, celery, thyme and bay leaves, in a big pot, covered with water and simmered for an hour an half while I watched DVDs and read the social pages. Bliss.


I shredded the chicken breast meat and threw it back into the (drained of vegies) broth. I finely chopped the meat off the bones and mixed it with gorgonzola, parmesan, lemon juice (no rind!) and parsley stalks to make the tortellini stuffing. Meanwhile I made the pasta – not as tricky the second time around, which was a relief – and then turned it into tortellini. Well, sort of. I mean I tried to make tortellini, but really they just ended up looking like oversized dumplings. I read and reread the instructions, but just could not get the rolling technique spot on. Not to mention that my teaspoon of mixture was probably a little generous.




Still, tortellini or dumplings, it was still a healthy and good-for-the-soul chicken soup dinner at the end of a very chilled and enjoyable weekend.




Note to self, next time I make fresh pasta again, I need to halve the recipe. I had way too much leftover and still can’t figure out how to store homemade fresh pasta without it all sticking together in a huge lump.


Xx


No comments: