Sunday, November 1, 2009

A quick bake-off.

I had a lovely day visiting friends yesterday – breaky with Becko, visiting baby Lukas and dropping in on Jen & James, returned from their honeymoon.


By the time I got home, the sunny day was turning to evening and I was heading out for a big birthday dinner. I needed to cook something to make sure I stayed on target this week, so I flipped to the dessert section thinking there had to be something that I had all ingredients for in the pantry.


Tea-party Fairy Cakes



I quickly whipped up the mixture in my new mixing bowl – I can’t tell you how long I’ve been searching for the right one, so I am very excited about this new addition to my kitchen. It’s got an old school look about it, which reminds of baking with Mum when I was little. The cupcake mixture is the sponge recipe in Jamie’s book (sponge to be made at a later date), but I have so say that I’m a little worried about the sponge, now that I’ve made these fairy cakes.




It’s not that the cakes didn’t turn out nicely (I should mention that – of course – there is lemon zest in this recipe!!!), they are very tasty, but they’re not the lightest, fluffiest cakes I’ve made, so it doesn’t bode well for a spongey sponge. But not to worry, we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.


I’m off to lunch today, taking fairy cakes as an après-lunch treat.


Xx




No comments: