Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Super Dooper Curls & Squiggles


It’s becoming harder to find simple recipes in the book that I can pull together on a week night, just for me. They need to be quick, cheap and easy. Tonight I found a good one.


Super Squid Linguine


Before heading off to softball after work, I made a mad dash to the fish shop to grab a squid tube. Everything else for tonight’s dinner was in the pantry or in the fridge at home – it’s not often that happens, so I was a bit pleased with myself. I felt like a proper cook with her stocked larder. It’s the small things…


I made a quick marinade – chilli, parsley, lemon juice and zest, garlic and oil – for the scored and thinly sliced squid, left to sit for 10 minutes, then thrown into a hot frying pan until the squid starts to curl up into squiggles. Add some white wine and a handful of peas, let simmer for a few minutes while the pasta cooks. Drain the pasta and add it to the squid sauce with another squeeze of lemon, a slurp of olive oil and some chopped mint leaves.


And as Jamie says: “Serve! Eat!”



Xx


PS – I’m off to lunch with MasterChef winner Julie Goodwin tomorrow. Can’t wait.


No comments: