Monday, November 23, 2009

A little bit of green goes a long, long way.

I’d had my eye on tonight’s recipe for a while and after last night’s kitchen nightmare, I thought it was a good time to go for a sure thing.


Greek Salad


I’ve made Greek salads before – who hasn’t? – always just based on what we all know (including the local chicken shop!) as the traditional Greek salad.


The most obvious thing in Jamie’s recipe is that he swaps cucumber for avocado. Happy days. I’ve never been a big fan of the cuke.


In a bowl, I combined roma tomatoes, chopped “erratically”, black olives, avocado chunks, a sliced shallot, a good sprinkling of oregano, a splash of red wine vinegar & olive oil, some lemon juice, S&P, ripped cos lettuce leaves and crumbled chunks of feta. Tossed together and served (with steak on this occasion).




And the best thing about this salad – which was definitely the best Greek salad I’ve ever eaten, better even than the ones I ate in Greece – was the oregano. It absolutely made it. And I would never have thought of putting dried herbs into a really fresh salad. But it so worked.


Xx


PS – sorry about the weird formatting that’s been going on with the last few posts. I am struggling to fix it…



No comments: