Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A gift from the home countries…

On Sunday, I had an old friend for lunch. And by old I mean, someone who’s been in my life for a long time, not an actual elderly person, which was what Trent took offence to when I called him my old friend. Seriously?

Squid with Black Pudding Stuffing & Sticky Tomato Sauce


So yes, I had my “old” friend Trent and his mum for lunch. I knew that when it came to the two black pudding recipes in the book that I would have to be cooking for someone who was of strong character and stomach, coz a good blood sausage can often turn people green, but I checked before hand and got the go-ahead on the sauso, which you can pick up in the deli section at Woollies. Very handy.


To make the stuffing, I pan fried chopped pancetta, with diced red onion, fresh thyme, and the black pudding finely chopped. Once it was nice and crispy, I threw it into the food processor with some lemon zest and stale bread chunks and whizzed it into a paste, then stuffed it into the squid tubes.




While I then made the sticky tomato sauce by simmering chopped garlic, some dried chilli and a heap of cherry tomatoes sliced in half, Trent cooked the squid on the BBQ.



It was a sort of surf and turf, but a sort of Scottish-haggis-Irish-fry-up combo at the same time. Interesting. And lovely to have been shared with my elderly friend…

Xx

No comments: