Sunday, September 6, 2009

BBQ with a view

After work on Friday, I headed out of town to visit Mum at her farm. Sitting in traffic that’s crawling isn’t ideal after a long week at work, but it’s worth it when you wake up in the country on Saturday morning to blue skies and fresh air.

Blackened BBQ Pork Fillets

Jamie says he came up with the marinade for this dish based on his love for food from the Deep South of America. So essentially, this is Texan BBQ sauce. It’s got orange juice and rind, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic, paprika, fresh thyme and ground fennel and cumin seeds. I used my pestle and mortar – which I don’t get to use often – and the smell as I ground up the spices was fantastic. I left the pork to marinate for several hours while Mum and I wandered around the garden, did some sewing and just hung out.


By lunch time, the marinade had worked its magic and the pork was smelling good, so we fired up the barbie, made a salad and set the table outside – the sun was shining.


It might be too much to say that it was a perfect lunch, but it sure came close. The pork was tender, the flavours of the Deep South were amazing, it was a glorious Spring day, we sat with a view out over the plains and I had my Mum for company.

Jamie says that after you’ve made this dish, you’ll make it over and over again and I think he’s right. I’ll definitely be doing this one again, and not just with pork, but with lamb or fish or chicken. I think I’d like the Deep South.

Xx

PS - This was the spot where I enjoyed my lunch.


PPS – I’m cooking Father’s Day dinner tonight and it’s going to be a winner, I can feel it!

No comments: