Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Outside My Kitchen # 3 – The Burlington

I’ve been a little quiet this week, so I apologise for that. I’m also slightly behind schedule now, so am in serious need of some Jamie cooking. I’ve got Mum coming for dinner tomorrow night so I’ll be back on the bandwagon again.

In the mean time, I went to dinner with Jules on the weekend, at The Burlington. Jules and I like to treat ourselves to a posh lunch every couple of months, going to fantastic restaurants all over Sydney. This time we opted for dinner.

http://www.burlingtonbardining.com.au/index.php

The Burlington is a great restaurant – small, contemporary and the staff were brilliant. I’d been told by another friend that we had to have dessert, so we were both prepared for a three course extravaganza!

I had a special to start, stuffed squid with polenta and zuchinni (it was absolutely fantastic – Masterchef gave me a whole new appreciation for squid and this just carried that on) and Jules had the ‘Coq au Vin’ spring rolls, which she said were amazing. For main I had the pork belly (very tender, with excellent crackling) and Jules had the gnocchi with wild nettles, mushrooms, peas, parsnips and almonds. It looked absolutely fantastic and now that I know how good gnocchi can be (even if I do say so myself!), I actually had a little bit of order envy.

We had to take quite a long break between courses, as we were both stuffed, but with the specific instruction about dessert being given, we weren’t going to pass up the challenge!

So after a breather, I had the honey & yoghurt panna cotta with quinces and Jules had the white chocolate tarte with cumquats. The panna cotta was perfect – it was fresh and chilled after the heavy main. Jules’ tarte was amazing – too sweet for me, but definitely impressive.

We headed home and stretched out on the couch. Very full but very satisfied!

So if you’re looking for a great place to treat yourself to a tasty dinner on the North side, then head to The Burlington. But just be ready to make the effort to squeeze in the desserts.

Xx

PS – tonight I made tacos for my bookclub girlfriends. Seriously, how good are tacos?

No comments: