Thursday, September 24, 2009

Single Bird – first chicken off the rank.

All praise to Jamie for having a few dinner-for-one options in the book and praise be to me for having the foresight to choose a simple & quick one, on a night where I ended up being stuck at work late.


Roasted Chicken Breast with Cherry Tomatoes & Asparagus

Steamed Broccoli with Soy & Ginger


I ducked into the supermarket on my way home, then through the front door, turned the oven on to preheat, put single chicken breast, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, rosemary, S&P, oil and white wine into a baking dish and into the oven for 25 minutes.



Too easy. And if I didn’t have some broccoli left over from Sunday night, I would have left it at that, but the broccoli in the crisper needed using, so I browsed the book, browsed my pantry to double-check ingredients and decided to go ahead. Broccoli on the boil, finely sliced garlic fried in some oil, then soy sauce, sesame oil, lime juice and sesame seeds for the sauce. Yum.



Dinner for one in half an hour and a helluva lot tastier than two minute noodles. I use the noodles as a comparison only because I’ve had them for dinner already this week… After two massive weekends in the kitchen, I needed a short break. Tonight was a fresh start and also my first foray into the chicken chapter. Happy days on both accounts. I am reinvigorated and ready to surge on. I’m thinking it might be time to whip out the pasta maker again this weekend. Better start doing some bicep curls…


Xx


PS – How about the dust storm? Forget all the jokes about fake tan & the Kanye rip-offs, it was an amazingly eerie phenomenon. Itchy eyes aside, it was fascinating to see. The clean up though, less of an exciting phenomenon…


PPS – Is anyone else excited about Celebrity MasterChef starting next week? Celebrities + cooking = two of my favourite things. There are sure to be a few kitchen tanties as the celebs take to the kitchen – how entertaining!


No comments: