Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Mad and Spicy Feast

I decided a few weeks ago what I was going to cook Dad for Father’s Day and I’d been looking forward to it. It was going to be a satisfying recipe to cross off the list.


Mad Moroccan Lamb


I rubbed a concoction of spices (ground with the pestle and mortar – again!) into a scored shoulder of lamb and popped it in the oven to cook slowly for a couple of hours. The smell of the spices while I was grinding them was so strong it made my eyes water – surely a good sign for the flavour to come?


More teary eyes as I sliced red onions and fried them with fresh thyme and a cinnamon stick, then added chick peas (never cooked them before – yet more legume experimenting!) and balsamic vinegar then left to simmer for a while as it thickened up. While that was simmering away, I made cous cous with dried fruit (loved that idea and will definitely be doing that again) and lined a roasting tin with it – bottom and sides – added the chick peas then placed the almost cooked lamb on top and covered it all with the rest of the cous cous. A cous cous pocket of lamb, you might say. Back in the oven for another hour and then straight onto the table with coriander, natural yoghurt and fresh chilli sprinkled over the top.



It looked good, it tasted absolutely sensational and it was madly Moroccan. The crowd of tasters were suitably satisfied, including me!




Xx


PS – My mouli arrived on Friday, so I’m planning another gnocchi this week. And this time, lump-free!

No comments: