Sunday, September 27, 2009

Heart-Stopper Express with cabbage.

I had the best intentions for dinner tonight, but a late night last night, followed by the exhausting wind blowing us all about today, meant that by the time I had to start thinking about dinner, I was actually already thinking about bed. Not ideal conditions for pasta making, so I flipped forward from the fresh pasta section to the dry pasta section.


Macaroni Cheese

My Favourite Coleslaw


Jamie’s mac and cheese is free of béchamel sauce, which brings down the prep time, but certainly doesn’t affect the flavour. It’s a triple cheese recipe – taleggio, parmesan & mascarpone – so the fat and cholestoral levels are sky high, which you know means that the flavour levels will be too. I had to do some substitutions on the cheese front, but I made sure that choices for the replacement cheeses were equally as tasty as the originals. It does frustrate me though, that at any Tesco in London, taleggio cheese sat neatly amongst the cheddars and bries – cheap and cheerful – but in Australia you have to search far & wide to find taleggio and pay through the nose for it. Why is that?


It’s the easiest and tastiest macaroni cheese I’ve ever made – cook the pasta, stir through butter, oregano and three cheeses. Put in a baking dish, sprinkle more cheese on top. Bake for 10 minutes, then put under the grill to brown it.



In the meantime, I made the coleslaw, using finely sliced cabbage, red onion, carrot, apple and parsley plus lemon juice and some of my homemade mayo. Crunchy and fresh. The perfect compliment to the cheesy mac. Now I’m off to bed.



Xx


PS – We got a little mention on the radio today. Hooray for A Year In My Kitchen!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.