Thursday, September 10, 2009

Heavy duty – machinery & dining

There were a couple of hiccups on the way to tonight’s dinner…


Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Dolce


Firstly, I couldn’t put the new mouli together. Trust me, it was tricky. In the end I had to ask for assistance from Mum – who called around in the afternoon to deal with the heavy machinery. She is definitely more practical than me when it comes to putting things together.


Home from work, I set the potatoes to boil and marvelled at the put-together mouli, but when it actually came to mouli-ing the cooked potatoes, it wasn’t as easy as I thought. It gave the pasta-making a run for its money in the fitness stakes, that’s for sure. I actually really struggled (there may be bruising – I’m not kidding!), but after trying different angles, swapping hands, using fingers and the odd expletive, I finally had a bowl of moulied potatoes. The fun part is the next bit, where you turn potatoes into dough. I am still quite fascinated by this. It’s really cool. A bit of kneading and rolling and slicing and you’ve got your gnocchi.


Then came the heavy duty bit – the sauce. Gorgonzola, double cream and butter. That’s it. It’s high cholesterol in a single pan. But tasty? Oh, you wouldn’t believe.



Ween and I couldn’t talk, we were so enthralled by this cheesy potato concoction. If you’re not on any sort of diet, I highly recommend!


Xx


PS – My next meal is a three course number, for Sunday night dinner, at the request of my friend Sarah. I’ll be ticking off three recipes, which will finally bring me up to speed. I think she chose some tricky ones on purpose, but I accept the challenge.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

omg I am sooo jealous there wasn't an extra table setting for me :) sounds like heaven where cheese & potatos live happily ever after . . . mmmm cheesy potato heaven