Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hey Mister Bean-Man…


I’m back on track and planning to nut out a few more recipes this weekend. Tonight was pretty quick and easy, but something a bit different for me and Mum.


Grilled Fillet Steak with the Creamiest White Beans & Leeks


Tonight was Mum’s first night as a taster for the experiment and she was looking forward to it. I’d been keen to make this dish for a while and when Mum saw that it had leeks in it, she got quite excited. Leeks are very cool, I have to admit.



After sweating the leeks for a while, with some thyme and garlic, I then added some white wine and let them simmer while I fired up the barbie. I added the white beans and continued the simmer. The steaks were done to perfection on the BBQ and then left to sit for a few minutes while I stirred through crème fraiche (actually I went with sour cream tonight), parsley (fresh from Bec’s garden yesterday – thanks Becko!) and a “glug” of olive oil.


Sliced beef placed on top of the creamy, leeky, beany mixture, a simple green salad on the side, some Dijon mustard and we’re done. By no means do I hate beans, but other than the Heinz baked variety, I don’t do a lot with them, but this was beany goodness – yum.



Xx


PS – I went and introduced myself to my local butcher tonight (no, not Mr-Cute-Butcher unfortunately!) and told him about my little experiment. He didn’t laugh, so that was positive! I ran through my list of meats – of the more unusual-can’t-get-them-at-the-supermarket variety – and he said he’d be more than happy to help and to just give him a day’s warning when I needed anything a bit wacky and he’ll get it sorted for me, but not to fret, he always has rabbits and ducks on hand! Well, thank god for that.


PPS – I then felt compelled to buy something at the butchers (I already had the steak for tonight’s dinner, so didn’t actually need anything) so I tried to think of something simple and opted for pork fillets. Which means that Mum and I are having the BBQ pork fillets on the weekend. Jamie talks them up, so I’m looking forward to it.


No comments: