Sunday, September 13, 2009

Triple Decker Sunday Session

Amazing weather, amazing weekend and amazing dinner. That could be the triple part, but actually it’s the triple course meal on a Sunday night that really did me in.


1. Courgette Fritters

2. Delicious Roasted White Fish Wrapped in Smoked Bacon with Lemon Mayonnaise & Asparagus

3. Rhubarb and Custard


It all started yesterday, when I made mayonnaise from scratch, followed by making custard from scratch. I won’t go into detail, but I have declared never to make mayonnaise again – partly because now that I know what’s actually in it (oil and egg yolk & very little else except my elbow grease), I’m not sure I’ll ever eat mayonnaise again, let alone make it! I do also have to criticise Jamie here and say that he got his quantities all wrong – if I didn’t have Mum around to offer advice, the mayo at tonight’s dinner would have been more like an oily eggy mess. It wasn’t pretty, but we got there in the end. Once the mayo was bottled and in the fridge, I made the custard - again, now knowing what goes into custard (cream, milk, cream, sugar, cream, vanilla, cream) you realise why it tastes so good, but also why it’s never on the list for diet menus… Such tasty creamy goodness though!


After a morning spent in the kitchen, I spent the better part of my Saturday at my friends Jen and James’ wedding. It was a spectacular day, a beautiful wedding and a incredibly fun night.


And today I woke up to a perfect Spring Sunday. Ideal.


I baked the rhubarb according to Jamie’s instruction (I would usually stew rhubarb, but the baking was a new and different method and one that left my house smelling pretty damn fine) and then headed out for the day – time by the beach followed by a few beer garden bevvies. Man, I love the Spring.


Eventually I headed home with the crew, to make a start on the three courses.


The courgette fritters ended up not so much being fritters (again, I have to partly criticise Jamie on his slightly inaccurate instructions) as being “fries”, which wasn’t a bad thing, especially coupled with some of the home-made mayo made into aoli – yum. We got so excited about eating them, that we forgot to take photos – sorry about that – but I promise you, they were suitably fantastic and I think my tasters would agree.


The delicious roasted white fish, really was delicious – can’t fault Jamie on that one – with lemon, rosemary and prosciutto for flavour and asparagus and lemon mayo to complement, it could be, I think, the best fish recipe in the book.








And finally, the rhubarb and custard combo. Sweet and creamy with zesty orange. The perfect end to a triple-Sunday-special.




Xx


PS – With loads of egg whites left over from the mayo/custard-a-thon, I’ve whipped up some meringue ready for tomorrow night’s Farmer finale dinner. A double-decker pav ought to keep the crowds happy as they watch the farmers make the big choices. Can’t wait.



No comments: